These recipes are part of a bigger program that I would like to slowly introduce you too called Triple S; or Soups, Salads and Smoothies. Each recipe is packed full of nutrition, with tons of vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices and superfoods. Adding even one of the recipes to your daily diet is going to boost your energy, strengthen your immune system and supercharge your mood.
The first recipe in our series is a Creamy Ginger and Carrot soup. Before we get to the recipe let’s take a quick look at why the ingredients pack such a powerful punch!
The following recipe boasts a fantastic nutritional punch and the added bonus; it’s easy to make!! So, whip up a bowl or a pot, eat it hot or cold with your favorite whole grain bread and keep those winter blues at bay.
Creamy Ginger Carrot soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 carrots, washed and chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Black pepper and sea salt
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the onions, and cook for another minute. Add the cumin and stir well for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped carrots and sauté for a few minutes, then add the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until the carrots are just tender.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or standard blender. (use caution when using a standard blender. The soup will be hot!!) If the soup is too thick, add extra broth or coconut milk.
- Add the desired amount of lemon juice plus season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.